Sunday 5 April 2009

Seafood Special - A session with The Annoying Lobsters













The annoying lobsters
reside in Copenhagen, which for you that don't know is in Denmark. Having kept many Tuckshop listeners happy with their infectiously raw, Scandinavian sound. They were a band which I assumed would always be admired from afar, however assumptions are indeed a silly thing, as a few Sundays ago, I found myself at Liverpool st station waiting to meet these four fresh, Danish wonders, who had managed to sneak away from a college trip visiting some London museum, to hangout with Tuckshop Community Radio and record our latest living room session.














Having no idea what any of us look like. I happily receive a call a few minutes past 11 from an unknown number

"hello" I tentivily answer

"Hey is that Jack?" a foreign voice calls out, "we're at the station man"

Looking from the second level of the station, I immediately spy what I presume is The Annoying Lobsters. Their Scandinavian glow is quite noticeable amongst the many tired, hungover East London faces, who at this time in the morning are either on their way home or begrudgingly making their way over to Spitalfields for an untimely arranged rendezvous.

Hopping on a train that is taking us all the way to Tottenham hale (a lack of equipment meant that was where we had to record) I explain that the area isn't perhaps londons most cosmetic.

"London is cool man" Oliver tells me, "The girls are so hot" Casper chips in. I nod my head in approval and question the look of their cheap corner shop baguette that both Nickolai and Jasper had purchased to cure their fresh hangovers.

"What you need is a good old Englsh Fry up" I remark, "Yeah man", they all reply "That would be cool"













Finally, after a short trek along Tottenham High Street ,taking in such sights as White Hart Lane, we reach my mate Tobias who has kindly arranged for us to use his studio, here we swiftly record four tracks, fuelled by Jammy Devils, a dodger alternative fresh from bargain super market chain Aldi. Leaving Tobias behind and With the sun still shining we decide to make our way down to London fields to sip on some beer, check out "hot london chicks" and record the remainder of the show.

The barman at London Fields questions their age, So I get them a couple of beers and rather ironically a soda water for myself
"you guys wouldn't be planning on taking these drinks away from the pub"? the bar man asks
"of course not" I reply, lying convincingly ,I hand him the cash and we all sneak off away from the pub.

After recording the show, I take the Lobsters back to Liverpool St and point them in the way of Brick Lane, to hopefully not only absorb some local culture but also meet some local ladies.



















"Thanks a lot man " they all say, "We've had a lot of fun today" and after a warm shake of hands with each of them, I watch them walk towards to heady lights of Shoreditch, hoping they'll take in more sights.

The Session with The Annoying Lobsters can be listened to by clicking below and they can be found at www.myspace.com/theannoyinglobsters

No comments: