Monday 13 July 2009

Crispy Cream eggs, Tartan and other stories with Lewis Irvine



















When you hear Lewis Irvine for the first time, it is fairly easy to be drawn into his unique world of strummed guitars and husky vocals. I can't describe what it sounds like, perhaps a blend of celtic anti-folk mixed with both genuine sincerity and humour, however what I can tell you is that his records are very good and will keep you pressing repeat over and over again.

Having become a big fan of his work , I was delighted that he was able to answer a few questions, answers which cover all important topics, such as fashion, men in skirts, musical recommendations and Scotland's insatiable appetite for deep frying Cadburys products.

Please take time out to read these questions whilst listening to the undeniably talented Lewis Irvine.



Hello Mr Irvine, what have you just been doing?


To be honest I was just woken up by this huge sneeze which scared the shit out of me. I thought I was having a stroke but it turned out to be an absolutely massive sneeze.


Whereabouts in Scotland do you live and what would you recommend someone visiting should they ever be in your neck of the woods?


I live in Glasgow. In a house with a yellow door. I'd probably recommend visiting me. That's probably a good bet. If you can't find my house based on that description, then I'd recommend going anywhere up north/the west coast where it's beautiful or just exploring Glasgow for days and days. It's a lovely place. And if you're looking for free furniture, there's loads in my area.


What is your most prized possession?

I'd say it probably a close tie between my boots, my books and a CD given to me by my friend Greg Whalen. It was his first "album" and it was called "Some of My Songs For Lou To Listen To From Greg" and there was one copy made.


What was the last record you listened to?

Before I fell asleep we listened to the Arthur & Yu album In Camera. They're from Seattle and they're just great. This very minute I'm listening to The Only Living Boy in New York.

I see in your picture that your wearing a cravat, I myself often sport one at weddings etc etc. Could you please share with the Tuckshop followers the main plus points to wearing such a distinguished piece of neck gear?

Apart from framing ones face nicely, elevating ones visual grouping to the gentry, being very snug and, I must say, fetching, cravates serve the following purposes - they minimize the soiling of one's doublet and they allow one to successfully emulate the old fashioned kings of France. My doublet's squeaky clean.


As you are from Scotland, do you have a kilt? Or even tried a battered Mars Bar?


I do have a kilt in the distinguished Irvine tartan, no I have never eaten a battered Mars Bar. BUT, did you know, that at Easter some Scottish chipshops sell battered Creme Eggs?

Is there any wisdom you would like to share with us?

Never ever stand up in a small boat.

What was the last thing you saw that made you laugh?


Talking with my friends about soiled doublets earlier on this interview made me laugh, but the last thing I saw... My friend Dougie blowing bubbles at a "noise" gig. At the "noise" band. While they were on stage.

How can we get hold of your records?


You can buy my first record for £3 through my page on myspace. Or from me in person. Or, you can wait a few months and buy my new one. If you're willing to travel, I'll give a free haircut to anyone who buys one.


If you would like to get your hair cut by Lewis Irvine, you can book an appointment by visiting him here

No comments: