Thursday 12 March 2009

Bedroom session mix with Jersey Royale














Deep, soulful, vocal house music and Tuckshop Comunity Radio is probably not an obvious match, however being extremely keen to extend our musical journey as far and as wide as possible, It should therefore come as no surprise to learn that for our latest "bedroom session", we have enlisted the talents of Saaaaaf laaandan revolutionists "Jersey Royale", a bunch of youngish whippersnappers who have been busy terrifying many a house head with thier awesome sets and DJ capers.

The World is indeed a small place and I have actually known Toby (one half of Jersey Royale) from 'the good old days' when we were both in the same Halls of Residence. We bonded on not only a diet of pasta and "Sauce" but also rather ironically, on a mutual love for the first Black eyed peas album (they were actually quite good before that damned Fergie got hold of them!).

To celebrate this fantastic collaboration, Toby kindly agreed to answer some of our questions.

The crab has been a massive inspiration on my life, what affect did he have on you and has he ever appeared at any of your gigs?

You know what, I’ve only ever seen the crab (socially) once and it had a profound effect on the way I have gone on to live my life... At the time I just thought ‘look at that balding, bespectacled man dancing round this bar like a crustacean, whatever you do, don’t end up like him’. In a way i’d like to buy The Crab a drink because thanks to him, i’ve managed to keep my hair, not wear glasses and I certainly don’t have any pincers. Hats off to The Crab. He’s never been to any of our gigs, though if he was to show up i’d shake him by the claw. Legend.

I remember when we are Uni Hall, Eau du Cologne used to waft through your floor and down the staircase, What ever happened to that fair smelling, pastel shirt wearing individual?

Yeah you’re right, at the time I seem to have inherited Phil Mitchell’s entire pastel, button down shirt collection from the BBC wardrobe department. Thankfully those days are over (the shirts are now in a South Wales landfill) and i’ve moved on to pastel polo shirts. I suppose it’s almost like Darwin’s theory of natural selection....but with shirts. The thing with University is it’s a real corrupter of fine young minds, I’m not saying I had a find young mind, far from it, but I was certainly corrupted. I lay the blame squarely at my erstwhile DJ partner Ben Gardiner.

What is this seasons ultimate accessory for any modern man?.......ever considered wearing a cravat?

Cravat’s are a little done and dusted now really, they are dapper as hell, but you need balls to carry it off if you are under 70 or don’t own a 12 bedroom house that you’ve inherited. For me, this season it’s all about pin badges worn on outer wear. Forget your country’s flag, if you can source a pin badge that features a game bird (I mean like a pheasant not Christina Aguilera) then it looks the nuts.

Where is your night and are there any other places where we can find you?

You can find us playing in Clapham South the first Sunday of every month at Gigalum and Inigo. Aside from that we do the odd shift at Plan B in Brixton for House Rules. In May we've got something really exciting lined up, but it's a a little to soon to announce so keep checking our page for updates.

What is the coolest thing you've seen recently?

Not sure if this counts as cool in everyone’s book (think Vice Magazine cool here..), but I was walking to my local Underground station a couple of weeks ago in the morning and I spied a rather rotund, young-ish lady wearing a white puffa jacket. She was sat down in the bus shelter opposite a cafe which had a big bay window and about 8 people standing around her waiting for said bus. Anyway, Her face was pretty red and her eyes were watering and she was wiping her mouth and looked pretty sheepish. I thought ‘here we go, something’s going on here’ and I looked down and she had literally just puked her breakfast up whilst sat in a bus shelter, surrounded by 8 people and about a dozen more all watching through the cafe window. She just sat there next to it and didn’t move. That’s cool under pressure.

If we were told that the world was going to end and that you would be reincarnated as a professional footballer from the late 80's early 90's who would you pick and why?

Definitely Aston Villa flyer Tony Daley. He had this wicked Jason Roberts haircut moulded to a severe wedge, which at the time was very forward thinking in my book. OR maybe Mick Quinn, just because he looks exactly like Bob Carolgees.

Expanding our musical experience, are there any records you recommending us listening to?

If you like your house music a little bit edgier then i’m enjoying Darkmountain Group’s ‘Lose Control’ on Ben Watt’s Buzzin’ Fly label, if it’s a sprinkling of soul you like on your cornflakes then i’d definitely recommend the new remixes of Gabriel Rene, Spirit. Also keep an eye out for producer Guy Robin, he’s only 18 and he’s been turning out high quality house tracks as if he’d been using a mixing desk from birth. Mark my words.

We hear you are a fan of Mario's on Clapham high street, should I ever be in the area, is it worth popping in for a bite? what would you suggest I try?

Absolutely. Mario’s is one of the more interesting dining options on Clapham High Street (Maharani’s excepted). It’s probably the most narrow dining space I’ve ever eaten in and the clientele could be described as ‘vibrant’ (that’s estate agent speak for unpleasant) but there’s something about the way Mario puts those breakfasts together that keep me going back. It’s the only place in London I’ve been where I haven’t had to ask for fried bread. He works his socks off and it’s open late. In the shadow of McDonalds next door, it’s the last word in proper British grub. Go support.

To listen to Jersey Royale's excellent bedroom mix just click below.

Photobucket


You can visit the Jersey Royale Facebook page and keep up to date with their upcoming gigs here

No comments: