Monday 2 March 2009

The Toy Band are better than any version of Guitar Hero















About 18 months ago, when Tuckshop was still only a baby, I had the rather fortunate experience of hearing The Toy Band, a gang made up of young scallywags who were testing their musical talents in front of many, more than happy crowds up and down the streets of Cardiff. Armed with nothing more than a competency to play their instruments well and a knack of writing sweet tune after sweet tune, it wasn't long before their skill had taken them over the river Severn bridge and up to the bright streets of London.

I couldn't believe my luck, when I was invited along to their gig, and I quickly marked it in my diary. Sadly however my plans were somewhat thwarted due to an evening spent watching a friend drown his sorrows over a split with his then girlfriend.

A lot has gone on for The Toy Band since then of course, a host of rave reviews has followed a speedily gathered following of admirers and they are now sitting proudly on top of not only a list of fine gigs but on their hotly anticipated new single "all you have to do is cry". It was therefore hardly surprising that I was once again excited at the prospect of going to see the Toy band last Saturday, they even were kind enough to put me on the guest list.
















However.....It seems broken hearts are a tough cookie to fix and on my way to the gig I had to attend a engagement party of strangely enough my mates ex girlfriend. The evening was going nicely to plan, until of course when my good friend turned up in an uninvited drunken stupour. Once again I came to his rescue, removing him swiftly from the party, sharing another long "heart to heart" session.

Later, looking at my watch, I realised that I had yet again, missed another Toy Band gig.

The Toy band will undoubtedly give you far more pleasure than any axe wielding, air strummimg session on Guitar Hero, It is a massive shame that I was unable to make their gig on Saturday. I intend to catch them at full price next time they visit this fair capital, infact I may even insist that my heart broken friend ends his singledom by treating me to a date at their next gig.

All you can do is cry is out now on boy Scout Recordings and can be purchased here.

Watch a superb recording of "all you can do is cry" below...

No comments: